Nobody said you have to stick to the boring old contrasts – pinks with purples, Blues with yellows and reds with greens… BLAH and SO last season. Break out of your color rut and mix and match hues for a fantastic effect. But in order to break rules you must know them first!
This is the universal color wheel of basic colors used in your wardrobe- As per the traditional ground rules for color combinations, you can match:
1. Colors directly next to each other (i.e. yellow and yellow-orange; yellow and yellow-green; violet and blue-violet, etc.)
2. Colors that form right (90 degree) angles with each other (i.e. yellow and red-orange; blue and violet-red; green and orange, etc.)
3. Colors directly across from each other (i.e. yellow and violet; blue and orange; red and green, etc.)
4. Colors that form a T (i.e. blue, orange, and violet-red; yellow, violet, and red-orange; yellow, blue-green, and red-orange, etc.)
5. Colors that form an X (i.e. blue, orange, violet-red, and yellow, violet, blue-green, and red-orange, etc.)
But Spring Summer 2011 saw the color blocking trend, which essentially allowed you to break these ground rules and use the Zig Zag path in the wheel to mix colors: Eg: Orange with blue and Red, or combining green with red and violet and basically spinning the color wheel into a tizzy.
Ofcourse, the neutrals – white, black, grey and brown lend a solid base to your wardrobe but this season, leave them aside and go paint the town!
Take a cue and spruce up your style by making up wacky color combos, go bold and break the rules! If you catch people staring, it’s probably because you’re awesome! Try these fun combos to turn up the heat this summer.
Tangerine and Wasabi
The pale, muted Wasabi green is a perfect canvas for shocking bright tangerine accessories
Strawberry and Lime
Looks great when matched with accessories but looks phenomenal when this contrasting is done with makeup! Try it to believe it.
Hot pink and Teal
I love how easy, yet shocking this combo can be… Play with textures and prints for a super sexy effect!
Gold/ bronze and electric blue
Gold anything requires a certain élan to carry off but this one’s a real stylish head turner!