It’s Massive Clean Up Day! I’m shocked to find a ton of old, but barely used cosmetics, hair products and general junk in my closet so it’s time to toss out some palettes and paints today – even though some of them are just three months old! Yup! That’s the real shelf life of a mascara! Clearly, we can’t afford to be sentimental about make up.
Here’s how long you can keep cosmetics before they expire:
Mascara — 3 months. (Some say 6 months, but many cosmetics experts, including DaltonJames, recommend 3 months.)
- Liquid Foundation and Concealer — 6 to 12 months.
- Cream Blush and Eyeshadow — 6 to 12 months.
- Powder Blush and Eyeshadow — 1 year.
- Eyeliner and Lipliner Pencils — Up to 2 years.
- Liquid Eyeliner — 6 months or less.
- Lipstick — 1 year.
- Moisturizers and Skin Care — 1 to 2 years.
Okay so they haven’t exactly been easy on the pocket but using old make up might make you break out, change color and turn smelly! Ew!
So I bid a sad farewell to my paint pots and lip gloss sticks, my beloved Max Factor mascara and the nicest dark eye palette from Sephora. Sigh… Good byes are never easy! But hey, sale season is on and I think I saw a 50% off somewhere so…Cheers to getting rid of the old and welcoming the new.