Love dresses? So does she! The designer- owner of Dubai based boutique, Polka Dot Cat, has received a tremendous response from the fashion fraternity in the country since she set up shop in April 2009. Rana Jamshed, the stylish lady behind it all, chats with Fashionably Yours about style, Dubai and cats!
Rana Jamshed: Polka Dot Cat, Dubai
1) How did the idea of PolkaDot Cat come about? What does the brand stand for?
It came from my favorite 4 F’s: Family, Friends, Felines and Fashion. The brand stands for femininity and elegance in each dress. Like a fairytale, I want woman to fall in love with every polka dot cat creation.
2) As a designer, where do you find inspiration from?
I am inspired by any of God’s beautiful creations: it can be a tree, a flower or a cat!
3) Who is the PolkaDot Cat woman? Who are your designs targeted at?
Any woman looking for a dress! First I tried to put an age to it, but I couldn’t, since elegance does not have an age.
4) What are your top picks from the Spring Summer 2012 trends?
Colors! I think the world has seen allot of black in 2011 so I hope to see more colors this year
5) What should we expect from the Polka Dot Cat Spring summer collection 2012? Please give us a sneak peek!
I designed the SS2012 collection to embrace the Garden of Eram – a concept of an ancient garden that is full of color and joy.
Polka Dot Cat (Dubai) Spring Summer '12 collection: Garden of Eram
6) Are there any tips you’d like to offer to upcoming fashion start ups in the region, from your experience?
Believe in your brand and story to succeed, Dubai is like a flower of creativity blossoming at the moment and I am very excited to be part of that garden of creativity.
7) What is your personal style statement? What item from your own closet would you call your favorite and why?
I love dresses, even when I was in banking I used to wear more dresses than suits as I believe each woman has her own beauty that can be embraced in a feminine dress. I love everything in my closet – so hard to say!
8) Any style advice for readers of Fashionably Yours? What is your best kept style secret?
Simplicity- sometimes too little is more than enough!
Dubai based Designer Rana Jamshed, Polka Dot Cat